Hello Blackboard Community!
We have been busy at work finding new ways to strengthen the work of Blackboard during this challenging time.
It is with great pleasure that we announce our partnership with the Parent Artist Advocacy League (PAAL) on a New Play Festival!
The Black Motherhood and Parenting New Play Festival is open to parents and caregivers that identify as Black. Blackboard’s mission has always been devoted to Black Playwrights and through this partnership with PAAL, we are more specifically looking to uplift the experiences of Black Parenthood.
*PAAL is a transgender and non-binary affirming space. Mother is an inclusive term for anyone who identifies with it.
Here are some details:
Submit 10 pages MAX of a play that you would develop into a One-Act.
Selected writers will develop a One-Act centering on The Black Parent and caregiving experience to premiere Digitally during the Spring of 2021.
- 4 finalists will be selected to develop their work with a director and digital production elements to premiere during the Spring of 2020.
- A 10-minute version of that play will be read at the PAAL Closing Summit in November.
- 2 awards will go to plays that engage with the theme of Black motherhood.
- 1 award will be for plays that explore transgender, non-binary, and other gender-specific experiences of parenting.
- 1 award will be for a submission that examines Black fatherhood.
Submissions Close on November 16, 2020 at 11:59pm EST.
We look forward to reading your submissions!
Questions or concerns: [email protected]